How worth is buying this Lectron J1772 to Tesla charging adapter? With this Lectron J1772 to Tesla charging adapter, you will no longer be worrying about your range. It allows you to have access to 7.42 charging stations per 1000 square miles in comparison to 1.14 charging stations per 1000 square miles in the absence of the adapter. With 5 times higher charging stations density, you are bound to be back on the road more frequently. Currently, there are 4,361 public charging stations for Tesla but with the help of our adapter, you will have access to a total of 28,194 Tesla & J1772 charging stations. So you want to know how to use Tesla J1772 adapter? Get more in How to use Tesla J1772 adapter review.Consumer Reviews is supported by its audience. This website contains Paid Links. As an affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchase. Find more
Table of Contents
Pros & cons
- Small. Easily fits under a seat or in stowage bay for travel use.
- Durable construction. Has protective caps for both ends and the plastic and rubber used is strong. I’m not worried about bumping and damaging the adapter like I am with the 120V charger that came with the car.
- Easy to use. Literally plug and play.
- Convenience. Works with a wide range of inputs unlike a lot of other adapters.
- Utility. Paired with the right system is cuts charging time down dramatically and makes multiple EV trips possible for vehicles like mine with lower EV range.
- Upfront cost. Way cheaper than installing a whole unit, but still an extra cost against fuel savings that delays the break even point. The power company here offers a $200 rebate for buying an EV so it offsets the price of this unit.
- Brand Compatibility: Tesla
- Model Compatibility: Tesla high power wall connector, destination charger and mobile connector
- Charging Method: Wired
- Amperage Specifications Info: 40.0 amperes
- Product Name: Tesla to J1772 EV Adapter Charger for J1772 Electric Vehicle
- Brand: Lectron
- Charger Type: Vehicle chargers
- Number Of Devices Charged Simultaneously: 1
- Model Number: TeslaJ1772BlkUSA
- Color: Black
- Product Height: 8.9 inches
- Product Length: 7.2 inches
- Product Width: 2.7 inches
- Product Weight: 1.73 pounds
Lectron J1772 to Tesla charging adapter review
The charging adapter is small and portable. Store it at the back of your trunk and bring it with you wherever you go.
|Product Dimensions||3.54 x 2.09 x 2.56 inches|
Maximize the EV charging options of your Model S/3/X/Y. The adapter enables compatibility with public Level 2 charging stations, greatly increasing the number of charging destinations for your Tesla.
Compatible with most Level 2 public charging stations, the J1772 Adapter supports charging speeds up to 19.2kW and works with all Tesla vehicles.
With 60 amps of maximum current and 240 V AC of maximum voltage, charge your vehicle in just a few hours. It also has an operating temperature of -22°F to 122°F (-30°C to 50°C).
How to use Tesla J1772 adapter
- Connect the Tesla charging adapter to the SAE J1772 charger.
- Connect to your Tesla vehicle.
- Turn on the J1772 charger (if necessary) and start charging your Tesla!
Can you use this as non-Tesla vehicle charger adapter? Yes, you can use Tesla chargers, but you’ll need to purchase an adapter
Yes, you can charge your non-Tesla electric vehicle on a Tesla charging station, but there are limitations and you’ll need to first purchase an adapter. In the video above, we explain what you’ll need, what you should be aware of, and list some of the equipment choices on the market.
Video on how to Charge Your Non-Tesla EV On A Tesla Charging Station
Lectron J1772 to Tesla charging adapter Performance review
It seems to have been made from high quality materials and looks great. The Tesla side of the connector is a little loose between the connector and cable, but no issues so far. Plugs and wiring are sturdy and should hopefully last a long time. Plugging the Tesla charger into the cord requires that you hold down the locking tab, which could be smoother if it the cord could simply slide into place and lock without additional intervention. Unplugging also requires a little extra force to remove. It is cheaper to use the adapter than having a separate high power charger and convenience wise it’s not too bad. Also offers additional options for destination charging.
This worked fine from a Tesla gen 1 wall connector with a 40 amp maximum current setting. I don’t think it will work if the current is set higher on it because level 2 charging is 32 amps. If yours is set higher the current available will cause the charger in your car to error. I use it with a Fiat 500E and it works perfect. Saved me the cost to have a different J1772 wall connector installed. It isn’t cheap but look at the energy and materials used to make it. It also needs ti be safe and dependable. If it was cheap it would break easily.
Lectron J1772 to Tesla charging adapter customer review
Works flawlessly on Chevy Spark EV and Chevy Volt
Does exactly what I needed it to do. There is a Tesla HPWC where I work and wanted an adapter so that I could charge at work and not have to carry my OE EVSE around in the car. This allows me to keep it at home and bring the adapter to work so I can charge my car. Works flawlessly on my 2016 Chevy Spark EV. The adapter itself is hefty and has a nice, quality feel. Tesla charger end plugs in and fits snug, rests inside the J1772 port snug as well. High quality adapter, we’ll see if it lasts. Worth the money if you travel and are near Tesla HPWCs.By Lectron Customer review from Wasserstein