Why do you need Shark vacuum comparison chart and how it can help you? Shark vacuums have anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter trap 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner. (Based on ASTM F1977 of particles .3 microns or larger.). Powerful LED lights on the nozzle reveal hidden debris around your home. Smooth maneuverability on hard floors and carpets while maintaining powerful suction. Includes tools to tackle stubborn pet hair and hard-to-reach spaces. Even it lets you detach the pod to go under furniture with a motorized nozzle or clean above the floor with a push of a button. Get useful buying tips from Shark vacuum comparison chart 2021.
New Shark vacuum comparison chart 2021
|Shark Vertex Upright Vacuum||Shark Rotator Lift-Away||Shark Vertex Ultra-light|
Hand vacuum mode
|Dust cup capacity (qts.)||1||0.89||0.32|
|Product weight (lbs.)||16.38||12.3||9.05|
|Cleaning path width (in.)||12||9.5||8.11|
|Cord length (ft.)||30||25||30|
|Hose length (ft.)||5.5||6||n/a|
|Filter type||Washable HEPA + Foam and Felt Filters||Washable HEPA + Foam Filters||Foam and Felt|
|LED lights||On floor nozzle||n/a||n/a|
Compare other shark vacuums – Shark DuoClean vs. APEX vs. IONFlex vs. Lift Away (and others)
Shark has a TON of different models and feature names. It can be really confusing to know exactly what all these terms mean in terms of features and technology.
Below we’ve listed all of the major features the differentiate Shark models and what all the different names mean.
Shark Apex vacuums include a series of advanced features, including Active-Glide wheels and Noise Reduction Technology. The body style is a bit more rectangular (at least on the uprights) with a clear dust bin viewing panel on the front of the vacuum.
Apex Technology is basically always paired with DuoClean Technology (listed below) although it doesn’t always go the other way around. The most popular APEX upright vacuum is likely the Shark APEX DuoClean Powdered Lift-Away upright vacuum (AX951).
Build quality on the APEX vacuums feels and looks to be a step up as well compared to less expensive models, like the Shark Rotator and Shark Navigator Pro series.
The Shark APEX DuoClean uses a new style of cleaning head that combines the traditional spiral brush bar with a soft roller. The combination of the two brushes makes it easier to clean up large debris messes, like cereal.
Vacuum cleaners with the DuoClean use a larger roller and don’t have the hard front bumper that a traditional cleaning head has. Without this barrier, the vacuum is able to roll over large debris and the roller can pick it up to be transferred to the dust bin.
FYI: This is similar to the design on the Dyson V10 Absolute.
This is the same distinction as the IONFlex above.
There are not as many Shark Flex vacuums, as most Flex vacuums are IONFlex. However, there are some, including the Shark Flex DuoClean. This vacuum has the Flex body, DuoClean brushroll, and is corded.
Shark IONFlex vacuums are a combination of features, including:
- ION = meaning they are powered by a battery and therefore use a cordless design
- Flex = meaning they have a flexible stick body.
Shark IONFlex vacuums are Shark’s most high-end cordless vacuum cleaners. The ION distinction means they are cordless battery powered. The Flex means it has a pivoting joint about halfway down the stick body.
This pivot joint lets you more easily clean under furniture and around obstacles, while also making the vacuum easier to store.
Simply put, it’s a cordless battery powered vacuum.
These vacuums are typically either robots or cordless stick vacuums.
Shark vacuum cleaners that are labeled as lift away mean the dust bin canister can be lifted out of the vacuum base and carried with you. This lets you more easily clean stairs, your car, and other hard to reach places.
There are many Shark models that are labeled as TruePet, however, most are upright vacuums.
Shark vacuums with the TruePet model distinction typically include extra accessories designed to help remove pet hair. In addition, they also usually have anti-allergy seals to trap more dust, pet dander, and fine particulates.
What about other Shark model types and names?
There are a ton of different Shark model classes, feature names, and sub-types.
Below we’ve listed a quick reference list:
- IONFlex = cordless stick vacuum with a pivotable joint on the body
- ION = battery powered
- Flex = pivotable joint on the body
- Lift-Away = canister that lifts out of the vacuum body
- Rocket = stick vacuum class
- Professional = includes more accessories
- Zero-M = requiring less maintenance due to lifetime filters and belts
- Ultra Light = among the lightest Shark vacuums, usually stick vacuums
- Deluxe = includes additional accessories
- Rotator = budget upright vacuum class
- Navigator = budget upright vacuum class
- APEX = the most advanced Shark class, also the best build quality
- DuoClean = dual designed brushroll that has a soft roller head, traditional bristle brush roll, and open faced head
- TruePet = includes extra accessories and features for pets
Shark vacuum price comparison chart 2021
Enough history – for those in a hurry, here’s a scrollable shark vacuum reviews list of my favorite best Shark vacuums (last updated in December, 2020):
|VACUUM CLEANER||PRICE||TYPE||WEIGHT||WARRANTY||RELEASE YEAR|
|Shark Apex Duo Clean Zero-M||$299.99||Upright||17.1 lbs||5 years||2018|
|Shark Navigator Zero-M Pet Pro||$184.99||Upright||16 lbs||5 years||2019|
|Shark Rotator Pro||$279.99||Upright||17.7 lbs||5 years||2019|
|Shark Navigator DLX||$149.99||Upright||15.2 lbs||1 year||2012|
|Shark Navigator LiftAway Deluxe||$149.99||Upright||12.5 lbs||5 years||2015|
|Shark Navigator Zero-M||$189.99||Upright||13.4 lbs||5 years||2018|
|Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away||$179.99||Upright||15.5 lbs||5 years||2012|
|Shark ION F80 MultiFlex||$579.99||Cordless||8.7 lbs||5 years||2018|
|Shark ION P50||$339.99||Cordless||12 lbs||5 years||2018|
|Shark Rocket Pet Pro||$359.30||Cordless||7.2 lbs||5 years||2019|
|Shark Apex UpLight||$398.99||Corded||10.7 lbs||5 years||2019|
|Shark Rocket Zero-M||$201.24||Corded||9.3 lbs||5 years||2018|
|Shark IQ Robot||$399.99||Robot||13.2 lbs||1 year||2019|
|Shark S87 Robot||$123.19||Robot||14 lbs||1 year||2018|
|Shark ION W1||$143.99||Handheld||1.4 lbs||2 years||2018|
|Shark Cordless Pet Perfect 2||$65.85||Handheld||5 lbs||1 year||2014|
Compare Shark Vacuums cleaner
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Upright Vacuum
What we like: This agile Shark vacuum has swivel steering so you can briskly navigate around furniture. For versatility, it comes with a wide upholstery tool, a dusting brush, and 2 crevice tools.
What we dislike: Some people aren’t happy with the cord placement, as they find it’s too easy to step on while cleaning.
Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum
What we like: This powerful Lift-Away model makes it easier to vacuum those problem areas that are hard to clean. It has a HEPA filter, an anti-allergen seal, and fingertip controls that allow you to effortlessly change modes.
What we dislike: While some users feel this model is heavy for a Shark, it still falls within the average weight for an upright vacuum.
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe Upright Vacuum
What we like: The clear canister cup lets you see when it’s time to empty the unit. Using the pod and hose, it’s easy to clean in almost any situation you may face in your home.
What we dislike: As with most upright vacuums, this one has a tendency to topple over when you’re using the hose.
Compare Shark Vacuums Stick Reviews
For a more lightweight Shark vacuum, Shark stick vacuums are a solid option.
Most Shark stick vacuums have a smaller dust bin capacity than a traditional upright, but are also lightweight and generally cordless. Some Shark vacs even convert into a portable handheld.
Some of the most popular Shark stick vacuums include:
- Shark IONFlex DuoClean (cordless)
- Shark Navigator Freestyle (cordless)
- SharkFLEX DuoClean (corded)
IONFlex & SharkFlex
Shark also has two collections of stick vacuum cleaners that can virtually fold in half for easy storage and to clean hard-to-reach places.
These vacuums use a compressed hose in the middle of the upright stick to provide a “joint” for the vacuum to bend at. This is called FLEX technology and is offered in a corded or cordless body.
The Shark ION Vacuums
All cordless Shark stick vacuums use the designation of “ION” in the name. This means that it is powered by a lithium-ion battery for power and do not require a cord.
Exact run time varies by model, but generally falls somewhere between 30-60 minutes.
This is the cordless version of the FLEX technology. The ION part of this series represents the lithium-ion battery, which it uses to provide power to the vacuum.
The two vacuums with IONFlex technology include the IONFlex 2X DuoClean (model IF251) and IONFlex DuoClean (model IF200W or IF201). These stick vacuums are essentially identical, the main difference being that the 2X comes with two lithium-ion batteries so you can charge and vacuum at the same time.
If you don’t mind the hassle of a battery, Shark also offers the SharkFLEX DuoClean (model HV391). This stick vacuum includes a 30′ cord, the flexible stick, the DuoClean roller brush head and an assortment of accessories (varies by model.)
Likes & dislikes – Shark vacuum comparison chart 2021
Shark Rotator TruePet
The Shark Rotator TruePet is an excellent option for a powerful upright that’s designed with pets in mind. It has a massive dust bin capacity at 3.1 liters (easily one of the largest in the market), with an assortment of bells-and-whistles that add to the overall value of this vacuum.
What’s To Like
- Large Dust Bin. The Shark Rotator TruePet can hold up to 3.1 liters of debris (or 3.3 dry quarts) making it an excellent option for cleaning large pet messes or whole-home cleaning cycles.
- Convenience Features. Nice add-ons like LED headlights, fingertip controls for switching floor types, and the lift-away canister makes this vacuum easy to use throughout the house.
- Multi-Modes. You can use this vacuum as an upright, a lift–away canister with long cleaning head, a portable handheld with flexible hose, or with the motorized pet brush. The wide range of included attachments and cleaning modes adds to the overall versatility of this machine.
What’s Not So Good
- No DuoClean. This model lacks the DuoClean cleaning head, which is good for cleaning hardwoods or large debris messes. That said, if your home has hardwood floors see our best vacuum for wood floors guide. Shark’s IONFlex and APEX DuoClean both earn spots on our list.
- A Little Heavy. Coming in just under 17 lbs (16.7 lbs), the Rotator TruePet is a little heavy, despite it’s design efforts to be portable and easy to maneuver.
Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-M
The Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-M packs all the best Shark features into a single absurdly awesome vacuum. It’s arguably the best vacuum Shark has ever made with excellent build quality, performance, and accessories.
What’s To Like
- Excellent Cleaning Performance. The Shark APEX upright was essentially perfect on our cleaning tests. It was able to remove an average of 99.7% of all debris on our 12 cleaning test.
- DuoClean Brushroll. With DuoClean you have a traditional spinning brush roll alongside a soft roller brush. This makes it great for hard floors and carpets. In addition, the open face design allows it to capture even large debris.
- Zero Maintenance. The “Zero-M” stands for zero maintenance. The Shark APEX uses a washable HEPA filter, washable foam filter, and a belt that is designed to last the life of the vacuum. This helps cut down on maintenance costs over time.
- Essential Accessories. It includes the most important accessories you’d want; dusting brush / upholstery tool, pet hair tool, and crevice tool. Best yet, they are all stored on the vacuum.
What’s Not So Good
- Pricey. It’s one of the most expensive vacuum cleaners that Shark offers. Nevertheless, it’s still a good value, especially if you can find it on sale.
Shark Rotator Pro Lift-Away
The Shark Rotator Pro Lift-Away is one of the tried-and-true favorites of the Shark lineup. This model is an all-around, solid performing upright vacuum. It has good dust bin capacity, suction power, and maneuverability at a fair price.
What’s To Like
- Multiple Configurations. The Rotator Pro has a lift-away canister, allowing it to run as a traditional upright or a portable canister for on-the-go cleaning.
- Lots of Tools. This model also comes with a wide assortment of tools, including: brushroll cleaning head, hard floor cleaning head, dusting brush, crevice tool, upholstery tool, and a motorized pet brush.
- Good Suction. Although the Rotator struggled with large debris, it did a pretty good job of cleaning up moderate to small sized debris. For large debris you can use the wand / hose easily enough.
What’s Not So Good
- Heavy to carry. When running this model as a portable canister, the in-hand portion can heavy to carry and difficult to maneuver.
- Multiple Filters. Having more than one filter means more maintenance and higher annual maintenance costs.
Shark IONFlex DuoClean
The Shark IONFlex DuoClean is Shark’s most advanced cordless stick vacuum to date. With vacuums moving more towards convenience and lightweight portability, the IONFlex DuoClean is a strong contender.
Advancements in vacuum technology allow for stronger suction, longer battery life, and more flexibility.
Flexibility is one of the biggest perks of the IONFlex system, where you can see it can bend completely in half for reaching under tight spaces or for compact storage.
What’s To Like
- Cordless. The Shark IONFlex DuoClean is a cordless model that runs with a lithium ion battery pack. There are standard models as well as the IONFlex 2X model, which includes two battery packs for an extended run time (when used consecutively).
- DuoClean Brushroll. The DuoClean technology is essentially all in the brushroll. DuoClean is a type of brushroll designed specifically for cleaning large debris types, like cereal, small beads, etc, from hard floors. The only other place this type of brushroll is seen is on the Fluffy cleaning head on the Dyson stick vacuums. Dyson models marked “Fluffy” or “Absolute” include a similar cleaning head.
- IONFlex. The advanced flexibility of upright stick allows the stick of the vacuum to basically fold in half (forward or backwards) for reaching under tight clearances or for compact storage.
- 2-in-1 Capability. This model easily converts back and forth between a stick vacuum and handheld model.
What’s Not So Good
- Shorter Run Time. Compared to the Dyson V10, which has a 60 minute run time, the run time of the Shark IONFlex DuoClean is not as long. Shark doesn’t openly list the run time, but third party product reviews seem to put it around 10-30 minutes, depending on the floor type. That said, the IONFlex DuoClean is several hundred dollars less than the Dyson.
Shark ION R85
The Shark ION R85 is smart robot vacuum with a nice balance of brains and budget. It is reasonably priced, but has overall good performance and convenience to make it worth the money.
This vacuum has wifi connectivity for app-based control, good navigation, and strong suction.
Although it’s not the most advanced Shark robot vacuum (see Shark IQ below), the R85 (850) model is a great value and offers a solid level of performance for the price.
What’s To Like
- Strong Suction. The Shark Ion R85 did a great job of cleaning pet hair and has 3x the amount of suction compared to the Shark ION R75.
- Wifi Connectivity. You can connect your smartphone and easily control this robot vacuum wirelessly or set up autonomous cleaning schedules.
- A Great Value. Despite a few cons listed below, the R85 hits a low price point and is an excellent value.
What’s Not So Good
- Bot Boundaries. Despite being a newer model, the ION R85 still uses the old style of boundary (a physical strip on the floor instead of infrared lighting boundary).
- Cleaning Fine Debris. Especially on high pile carpet, the R85 really struggled with cleaning finer debris particles.
- No Mapping Technology. This model lacks digital mapping technology, which can be a nice feature on more advanced robot models. For a Shark vacuum with mapping, you’ll need to upgrade to the Shark IQ robot vacuum.
Shark Navigator Pro
If you’re looking for a great deal in an upright vacuum, the Shark Navigator Pro is a solid option. This upright has strong suction with multiple configurations, helping to provide the right tool for the job when you need it.
What’s To Like
- Extra Large Dust Bin. The dust bin canister can hold up to 2.2 dry quarts of debris, which is almost twice the capacity of the Shark Rotator Lift-Away and over 7 times the capacity of the compact Shark IONFlex DuoClean. For homes with big messes, the extra large dust bin canister is a must.
- Great Value. The price tag of the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro is also right. The Shark Navigator Pro is a quite affordable vacuum, compared to similar models on the market.
- 2-in-1 Design. The Navigator Lift-Away has a canister that separates from the body of the vacuum for portable cleaning. Using the lift-away canister also doesn’t diminish the size of the XL canister.
What’s Not So Good
- Less Maneuverable. The Navigator Lift-Away Pro is a great vacuum and very powerful, but lacks the easy maneuverability of the Shark stick vacuums.
- Average Cleaning Performance on High Pile Carpet. The cleaning performance on high pile carpet was less than impressive, during our cleaning tests. It especially struggled with large debris types during our cereal cleaning test.
Shark Pet Perfect 2
The Shark Pet Perfect 2 is a cordless handheld vacuum with a large capacity dustbin, LED light to indicate charging, an easy-to-empty dust cup, and a motorized pet brush.
This inclusion of the motorized brushroll on this handheld vacuum is great at helping to agitate and remove pet hair, especially that has been embedded into fabrics.
What’s To Like
- Cordless Power. It’s hard to not like anything that’s cordless, especially when it is still able to retain a sizable run time of approx. 30 minutes.
- Nice Accessories. They’re simple, but it’s nice that this compact handheld comes with a motorized pet brush as well as a small crevice tool. They are easy to swap out and allow for a variety of cleaning applications.
- Budget Friendly. This vacuum is small in size and small in price. The low price makes this handheld a nice addition to your vacuum repertoire.
What’s Not So Good
- Not an End-All, Be-All. This vacuum is handy for some cleaning tasks, but it’s certainly not an end-all, be-all to all of your vacuum woes. For certain messes, this little vacuum will likely lack the power or sheer coverage size in order to be effective.
- Expensive Battery Replacement. Replacing the battery can cost as much as just buying a new handheld vacuum all-together. Not great for consumers or the environment.
Shark vacuum comparison chart 2021- ease of use
|Shark Vacuum||Best For||Style||Ergonomics/Ease of Use|
|Shark APEX Upright With DuoClean||Best Overall||Upright||A|
|Shark Rotator Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum||Best for Pets||Upright||A|
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional||Best for Carpet/ Solid Floors Combo||Upright||A-|
|Shark ION Robot R85||Best Robot||Robot||A-|
|Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-Light HV382||Best for Small Spaces||Stick||A-|
|Shark Rechargeable Floor And Carpet Sweeper||Best for Light Messes||Stick cordless||B+|
|Shark Corded Ultra-Light Handheld||Best Handheld||Handheld||A-|
|Shark Navigator Freestyle Upright||Best for Budget||Upright cordless||A-|
Cleaning effectiveness – Shark vacuum comparison chart 2021
|Shark Vacuum||Cleaning Effectiveness||Dust Bin||Accessories|
|Shark APEX Upright With DuoClean||A||A||A|
|Shark Rotator Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum||A||A||A|
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional||A||A||A|
|Shark ION Robot R85||A-||B||N/A|
|Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-Light HV382||A-||B||B+|
|Shark Rechargeable Floor And Carpet Sweeper||A-||B||N/A|
|Shark Corded Ultra-Light Handheld||A-||B||A|
|Shark Navigator Freestyle Upright||B+||A||B|
Shark vacuum comparison chart 2021 – dustbin & accessories
|Shark Vacuum||Style||Dust Bin||Accessories|
|Shark APEX Upright With DuoClean||Upright||A||A|
|Shark Rotator Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum||Upright||A||A|
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional||Upright||A||A|
|Shark ION Robot R85||Robot||B||N/A|
|Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-Light HV382||Stick||B||B+|
|Shark Rechargeable Floor And Carpet Sweeper||Stick cordless||B||N/A|
|Shark Corded Ultra-Light Handheld||Handheld||B||A|
|Shark Navigator Freestyle Upright||Upright cordless||A||B|