Can you use this MINISFORUM GK50 mini PC in your home security surveillance system? This GK50 Mini Computer comes with DDR4 8GB (onboard) and 128GB M.2 2280 SATA SSD. The SSD can upgrade to 2TB(not included), a 2.5 inch SATA HDD slot can install up to 2TB HDD, TF Card slot can up to 128GB(not included) and you could also add external HDD via 4 USB 3.0 ports. Get details in MINISFORUM GK50 mini PC review.Consumer Reviews is supported by its audience. This website contains Paid Links. As an affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchase. Find more
Table of Contents
In the box
- 1 * Minisforum GK50 Mini PC
- 1 * Mounting Bracket
- 1 * Power Adapter
- 1 * HDMI Cable
- 1 * DP Cable
- 1 * User Manual
Pros & Cons
- Adequate RAM and drive size;
- Silent and runs cool;
- Very compact; robust processor;
- Good connectivity (but would benefit from USB-C); SATA SSD can be added; has full-sized display port and HDMI; four USB 3 connectors;
- Windows 10 Pro.
- Case is hard to open to add second SSD;
- could use a USB-C port
Specs – MINISFORUM GK50 mini PC
- CPU: Intel® Pentium® Silver N5030 Processor , 4 Cores/4 Threads (4M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
- GPU: Intel® UHD Graphics 605
- Product Dimension : 125×113×30mm
- Net Weight : 0.26/KGS
- Gross Weight : 0.75/KGS
- Peripherals Interface : RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Port×2，USB 3.0 Port×4 , TF Card Slot×1 , DC Jack×1 , MIC×1
- Storage: M.2 2280 128GB SATA SSD
- Storage Expansion: 1×2.5 inch SATA HDD Slot (SATA 3.0 6.0Gb/s), 1×TF Card Slot (up to 128GB)
- Memory: LPDDR4 8GB (On Board)
- Wireless Connectivity: IEEE 802.11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi，BT5.0
- Ethernet: 1000Mbps LAN
- Video Output: ① HDMI 2.0(4K@60Hz), ② DP(4K@60Hz)
- Audio Output: HDMI 2.0 , DP , 3.5mm Audio Jack
- Power : DC 12V/3A (adapter included)
- System : Windows 10 Pro
Minisforum GK50 are announced at 299 USD in 8/128 GB version or 319 USD in 8/256 GB version. Prices that clearly tip the balance towards the 256GB solution.
MINISFORUM GK50 mini PC review
The whole Minisforum GK50 fits into a chassis of 12.5 cm wide for 11.3 cm high and 3 cm thick for 260 grams. The chassis is very open to allow efficient dissipation of ambient air.
It comes with a VESA mount that allows you to attach the computer to the back of a TV or display or mount it on a wall.
A 2.5″ drive can be installed. Wi-Fi 802.11ac and Bluetooth 5.0 wireless adapters are included. There is also a dual-port Gigabit Ethernet controller.
- 1 * Digital MIC
- 1 * Microphone Jack
- 1 * Headphone Jack
- 4 * USB 3.0 Ports
- 1 * Power Button
- 1 * TF Card Slot
- 1 * HDMI Port
- 1 * Display Port
- 1 * Power Input
- 2 * Gigabit Ethernet
- 1 * Reset Hole
There are four USB 3.0 ports on the front panel. On the side there are headphone and microphone jacks, as well as a microSD card slot. On the back you can find HDMI, DisplayPort and network cable jacks.
With this Pentium at the 750 MHz graphics frequency in Intel UHD 605, the Minisforum GK50 should offer a nice array of classic uses. It will be accompanied here by 8GB of LPDDR4 RAM, a soldered, non-expandable module, and 128 or 256GB of SATA 3.0 M.2 2280 base storage. A 2.5″ SATA 3.0 expansion bay will accommodate additional storage, more willingly an SSD than a mechanical drive to avoid hearing its motor.
It uses Pentium Silver N5030 processor with four processing cores without multi-threading support. The base clock frequency is 1.1 GHz, the maximum – 3.1 GHz. The chip includes Intel 605 UHD graphics.
The dual-band WiFi is a bonus on this as most newer router supports both bands now and it is nice to have and use 5.0 GHz Wifi when you can and max out your network connection if you can’t plug in and use one of the two ethernet ports on this. I get the same network speed on this as I do my full-size desktop with both being plugged in the RJ45 port.
I was sceptical about gaming on it but I still have to try it. Emulation of psp, dreamcast and any other light emulation of N64 and before works great. I installed counter strike source, NFS Most Wanted 2005, Blur, Deadpool Game, and pretty much every other game compatible with direct X9 and unreal engine 2 or even 3 will work with some settings adjustments.
How to do MINISFORUM GK50 mini PC RAM SSD upgrade?
There is a small indent just barely visible below the display port, but the cover does not come off easily, and could be broken in mishandled. You must remove the glued-on rubber feet, remove screws beneath these, and then CAREFULLY pry the BOTTOM cover off.
For many SSDs, they will not be visible until assigned a drive letter with a program such as MiniTool Partition Wizard. The SSD interface/power connector is taped to the motherboard. Tape must be removed, then the SSD installed in the proper orientation, screwed to the bottom cover. Once done, the cover snaps back in place, then replace screws and rubber feet. Then you are good to go.
- MINISFORUM U820 / U850 mini PC review – how to dissemble for RAM SSD upgrade?
- AWOW mini desktop computer Intel Celeron N3450 review – can you upgrade it?
- Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 tiny business PC Intel 6th Gen review
- HP EliteDesk 800 G2 mini business desktop PC review – can you upgrade it?
- Protectli Vault 4 port Firewall micro appliance/mini PC review